context overflow

David Edelsohn dje at watson.ibm.com
Fri Feb 9 09:08:32 EST 2001

>>>>> Cort Dougan writes:

} that the port is not using the PowerPC architecture as intended.  By not
} utilizing the hardware assists, the port is not performing at its optimal
} level.

Cort> I have data, and have written a paper with Victor and Paul, showing that we
Cort> get performance _increases_ by not using the PowerPC MMU architecture as
Cort> intended.  I think the PPC architecture intentions for the hash table and
Cort> TLB and very very poor and restrictive.  The 603 was a good step forward
Cort> but the 750, 7400 and follow-ons have been steps backwards from this good
Cort> start.

	Your paper was a very novel and good solution to a performance
problem that you detected in the VMM design.  I already mentioned one of
the problems with the VMM design causing double misses on write faults.
Let me reference the reasoning that Orran Krieger, Marc Auslander, and I