ethtool failure with tulip 21143

Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler nicoya at apia.dhs.org
Mon Dec 17 08:24:55 EST 2001

At 11:53 AM -0600 12/16/01, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
>I have a PowerPC 6500 with a Farallon 10/100 PCI card connected to a
>Netgear 10/100 switch. I have never gotten this card to work right in
>this box. If the number of packets is small, the connection seems to
>work, but any increase in the number of packets (my theory) causes
>the interface/NIC to choke up. I'm using 2.4.14 (bk).
[...]

I had the same problem with the Farallon 10/100 card in my 9600. It seemed
that either the driver or the chip weren't talking FDX properly - the card
worked flawlessly at 100/HDX.

I never figured out how to twiddle the duplex setting in the driver itself,
I usually ended up unplugging and replugging the ethernet cable a few times
until I confused the nway into thinking half-duplex is a good idea.

This was using the 'tulip' driver, iirc. I never had much luck with the
de4x5 driver. I haven't booted linux on my 9600 in a while, though, so
things might have improved since then.

Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler :)

--
Tony "Nicoya" Mantler - Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire - nicoya at apia.dhs.org