7450 bugs & fixes

Timothy A. Seufert tas at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 1 08:52:18 EST 2001

At 11:46 AM +0100 11/30/01, Holger Bettag wrote:
>Giuliano Pochini <pochini at shiny.it> writes:
>

>>  > After reading the 7450 errata book, I'm now trying to figure out
>>  > what need to be done for our kernel to work properly on these. [...]
>>
>>  :-((
>>  I've never seen so many bugs in a mot cpu before.
>>  I hope they are not embracing the Intel's
>>ship-things-asap-regardless-reliability style :(
>>
>To my knowledge, Apple is their only customer that actually delivered the
>buggy revisions to end users. I guess it's not Motorola who's in a hurry.

The 7450 was probably at least a year late (if not more), going by
various Motorola announcements, roadmaps, MPF presentations, and so
forth.  I don't think Apple was supposed to get stuck using the 7400
for as long as they did.  No doubt Apple put pressure on Motorola to
deliver a shippable version (meaning one whose bugs Apple could
remedy with workarounds) as soon as possible.

--
Tim Seufert