Occasional crash reports

Takashi Oe toe at unlserve.unl.edu
Tue Aug 14 12:59:05 EST 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> I'm getting regular crash reports for which I'm having trouble figuring
> out what's going on exactly. Those are with my tree or bk 2_4_devel, but
> the problem may be present elsewhere.
>
> So basically, the kernel tends to die in various locations where things
> should be just fine, but I did notice one thing: In most of these cases,
> I had softirq around in the backtrace (either running in softirqs, or
> having do_softirq() in the backtrace). There is one case where I didn't
> have it: it dies inside power_save(), so probably because an interrupt
> that happened just before messed things up.
>
> I'm wondering if we might be running into some stack overflow...

I don't really know, but I can confirm that both 2.2.x and 2.4.x kernels
are unstable on a beige g3 and a bmac equipped b/w g3.  I can crash them
rather easily with regular programs, given a day or two.  I have not seen
similar instability on other machines (dual g4, 7600, all nubus).
Unfortunately, I don't have any time to track it down right now  :(

Takashi Oe