xf 4.0.1 + ati driver with rage II/rage pro

Michael Schmitz schmitz at zirkon.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Sep 27 06:33:30 EST 2000

> >  > Does the X server complain about PCI resource conflicts when run as X
> >  > --probeonly? Anything about PCI problems in the server log?
> >
> > "startx -- -probeonly" also crashes linux when the ati drivers are
> > selected.
> >
> > Here's the log, which ends somewhat abruptly.
>
> [...]
>
> > (--) PCI: (0:13:0) ATI Mach64 GI rev 92, Mem @ 0x84000000/24, 0x81801000/12, I/O @ 0x0400/8
> > (--) PCI: (0:15:0) ATI Mach64 GI rev 92, Mem @ 0x83000000/24, 0x81800000/12, I/O @ 0x0400/8
> > (--) PCI: (0:18:0) ATI Mach64 GT rev 154, Mem @ 0x82000000/24, I/O @ 0x0400/8
>
> [...]
>
> > (--) ATI(0): VideoRam: 1 kByte (EDO)
>
> That's quite little VRAM :)

Yep, that can't really be the 2048 bug anymore.

But that's also quite a lot of mach64 cards. Are there really two GI's in
the machine?

No PCI regions overlap so my patch doesn't apply.

> Do you have an atyfb for each head? If so, try also passing the "fbdev" option
> with the devices for the ati driver.

You will have to pass multipe atyfb= kernel parameters to make the kernel
initialize one framebuffer device for each. Right now I doubt
atyfb_of_init will do the right thing here - could you post the kernel
boot messages again? I wonder if the device you specify via the busid is
the same the kernel initialized as atyfb.

Also helpful: a dump of the OF device tree.

	Michael