xf 4.0.1 + ati driver with rage II/rage pro

Michel Dänzer daenzer at relog.ch
Wed Sep 27 06:24:27 EST 2000

R Shapiro wrote:

> Michael Schmitz writes:
>  > > 3.  On the same machine, the ati driver I built yesterday hoses linux
>  > > completely and doesn't leave a core file.
>  >
>  > Does the X server complain about PCI resource conflicts when run as X
>  > --probeonly? Anything about PCI problems in the server log?
>
> "startx -- -probeonly" also crashes linux when the ati drivers are
> selected.
>
> Here's the log, which ends somewhat abruptly.

[...]

> (--) PCI: (0:13:0) ATI Mach64 GI rev 92, Mem @ 0x84000000/24, 0x81801000/12, I/O @ 0x0400/8
> (--) PCI: (0:15:0) ATI Mach64 GI rev 92, Mem @ 0x83000000/24, 0x81800000/12, I/O @ 0x0400/8
> (--) PCI: (0:18:0) ATI Mach64 GT rev 154, Mem @ 0x82000000/24, I/O @ 0x0400/8

[...]

> (--) ATI(0): VideoRam: 1 kByte (EDO)

That's quite little VRAM :)

Do you have an atyfb for each head? If so, try also passing the "fbdev" option
with the devices for the ati driver.

> The final two lines reject the two modes I generated with fbset.  Both are
> considered ok by the fbdev driver.

[...]

> (II) ATI(0): Maximum clock: 120.00 MHz
> (WW) ATI(0): Mode "1152x870" deleted (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)
> (WW) ATI(0): Mode "1280x1024" deleted (bad mode clock/interlace/doublescan)

Are the modes below 120 MHz? Have you tried uncommenting your mode definitions
so that is uses internal modes?

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project