new iBook and booting.

Christof Petig christof.petig at wtal.de
Mon Sep 25 21:43:32 EST 2000

Hi Carl,

>This is the point where the screen freezes, leaving the above message
>perfectly readable, yet the kernel continues to boot normally and
mounts
>the drive.  I then have to blind-type my username, password, and issue
>"shutdown -r now".

>Any light you might shed on this would be very appreciated.  I think
>Linux on PPC is great stuff and I thank you for making possible what we

>can already do with it.

Please try to build a kernel with CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY enabled.
This fixed the problem for me (300Mhz,6GB iBook).

Though, admittedly, I don't see any reason in this.

Christof

PS: 433Mhz - I should have waited buying one ...

PPS: if I guessed wrong, here's the relevant part of my .config:
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FB_ATY=y
CONFIG_FB_OF=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y