Misc problems with Lombard (serial, ethernet, SCSI)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt bh40 at calva.net
Mon Sep 25 18:22:00 EST 2000

>* Serial drivers - At least when talking to the modem, it will occasionally
>  cease to work.  I use pppd to connect, and when it disconnects I cannot
>  reconnect.  Once this happens, anything that tries to open the port get
>  an I/O error.  If I unload the serial module and then reload it, the
>  problem goes away for a while.  This started happening around 2.2.15.

Dan Malek recently "ported" a workaround for a HW SCC bug which seem to
fix such problems. (The SCC get stuck sometimes when receiving certain
kinds of bad characters). I'll try to get that merged ASAP.

>* MESH Driver - It won't work with my scanner.  The scanner works fine
>  under MacOS and used to work under Linux x86.  It has problems with
>  disconnects.  Also, once I use it then sleeping and awaking will locks up
>  the machine.  Also, unloading the MESH module and reloading it locks up
>  the machine.

Paul ? Any clue ? MESH is still a weird beast to me ;)

>* Ethernet driver (BMAC) - The driver will occasionally lock up under heavy
>  load (I haven't seen this yet with 2.2.17, though).  If I define an alias
>  address, bringing down the alias address will also bring down the main
>  address (this is still happening under 2.2.17).  Unloading the ethernet
>  driver and loading it again causes a lockup.

I've not experieced that before, there are some known issues with bmac
(HW bugs uncovered by comments in Apple's Darwin source code) but AFAIK,
nothing that cause a kernel lockup.

>I'm also seeing random lockups after long periods of running under
>heavy load, but this is new and I'm thinking it may be a heat problem.
>But just in case, I'll say it.

It may also be a RAM problem. Some Lombards are known to have memory
controller (or RAM, we don't know for sure) problems.
Also, which boot method are you using ?