xf 4.0.0/1 with rage II/rage pro -- should the ati driver work?

Michel Dänzer daenzerm at student.ethz.ch
Sun Sep 24 10:20:03 EST 2000

R Shapiro wrote:

> Michel Dänzer writes:
>  > > Specifics: with the ati driver selected, xf throws away my mode def,
>  > > since it thinks (incorrectly) that there isn't enough vram,
>  >
>  > Does it probe the correct amount of VRAM? Do you use Option "UseFBDev" ?
>
> The xf probe says 2MB, but in fact I have 4MB.  The dmesg line says:
>
> atyfb: 3D RAGE PRO (PQFP, PCI) [0x4750 rev 0x7c] 4M SGRAM, 14.31818
> MHz XTAL, 230 MHz PLL, 75 Mhz MCLK

Which looks good. I am confident that the xfree86-pmac rsync driver will probe
that correctly using fbdev.

> I tried both UseFBDev on and off.  It didn't seem to make any
> difference.  Btw, which is correct setting if I'm not using the fbdev
> driver?

I don't think any version of the ati driver will work without "UseFBDev" on
PPC yet, and you need atyfb for that.

>  > > and then quits since it can't find any valid modes. In both cases I'm
>  > > running 4.0.1 from Franz Sirl's linuxppc page.
>  >
>  > While we're at it, can you please send me the URL of those?
>
>  ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/users/fsirl/xf4/RPMS/

Thanks, I've forwarded this to the apus-user list.

> Speaking of configs, I have a Device entry and a Screen entry for each
> physical display but they're all sharing the same Monitor entry (all
> three physical monitors are identical).   It that likely to work?

Don't know, if it doesn't work, just duplicate the Sections and give them
different Identifiers.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project