Roles for distributions

Sriranga Veeraraghavan ranga at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Sep 12 10:06:20 EST 2000

> "Kevin B. Hendricks" wrote:
>
> > Why aren't the current PPC linux distributions putting full time developers
> > on key projects?
>
> So, do you actually _pay_ for any of these distributions and their
> available support or subscriptions, or are you just one of the slackers
> the expects someone else to pay for your free software?

<rant>

Uh, I think that you are picking on the wrong person. Kevin Hendricks
is one of the most devoted developers of Linux for the PPC platform.
He has been instrumental in the developement of the JDK for LinuxPPC
and has contributed heavily to Xpmac and XFree development on PPC.

I don't know if Kevin buys his distro's, but as someone who has bought
every LinuxPPC release from R3 forward along with YDL Champion Server
and SusePPC (at a big discount), I think that Kevin's remarks are not
unfounded. If LinuxPPC is to stay viable, then the distributions ought
to at least participate in the development of the tools.

That said, I understand that LinuxPPC is understaffed at the moment
given certain unfortunate occurances in the life of Jason Haas (get
well soon!).

</rant>

> All of the distributions you mention will support you.....well,
> maybe not any more....

I have never need much support from a vendor, and I don't really
expect any support from LinuxPPC, but everytime I have dealt with
them, they have been extermely friendly and helpful.

I hope that doesn't change because of a single rant email...

----ranga