Roles for distributions

Hendricks, Kevin khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca
Tue Sep 12 01:11:33 EST 2000

Hi Dan,

>Oh yeah....and one of the first things I read on Monday morning is you
>being nasty to people working hard creating distributions.  There are
>lots of us that work hard to make all of this happen, from fixing a
>little bug, to creating the packages anyone can use, to creating
>complete distribtions.
>
>If you don't like the way some of these folks are creating distibutions
>or supporting them, you should start by contacting them and expressing
>your suggestions.  A blanket "everyone is screwing up" statement isn't
>terribly helpful.

I guess I won't get my apology.  ;-)

Since this seems to be personal, this will be my last posting to the list
on this subject.  If you want to continue this argument, please do so
off-line.

>You are not a unique individual in this regard.  Although for for
>someone that has worked in this community for so long, I would have
>expected something a little constructive.

It was constructive, you read it as an attack.  Both Dan Burcaw and Olaf
responed to my mail and they did not view it that way.  In fact, they both
responded that they agreed but due to limitations (i.e. budgets) there was
not alot they could do but that they would try.

>I happen to be one of those full time employees you pissed off, and then
>after spending 12 hours a day working on a distribution I spend six more
>working on software you will see tomorrow.....seven days a week.

If you remember, I never accused anyone of not working hard or
contributing.   You are the only one that has done that.

> I had better get one from you.

So I get personally attacked by you and I owe you an apology. Is that correct?

My wife is right, I do give too much time for free to ppc.  We fight about
it constantly.  Things certainly have changed over the last 20 years.

I should just retire, it simply isn't worth it since this is how my
contributions are viewed by you and others.

Kevin

--
Kevin B. Hendricks, Associate Professor of Operations and Information
Technology