PPC byte ordering

Neil Russell caret at c-side.com
Sun Oct 29 11:24:51 EST 2000

Some PPC CPUs don't implement all load/store instructions for little
endian;  for instance, the 603 CPUs don't do lmw, stmw, lswi, lswx,
stswi, stswx for little endian.  I seem to remember that there are other
problems aside from the ones that I mentioned.  Later CPUs don't seem
to have a problem.

It would in theory be possible to have the kernel run big-endian as it is
and have certain user programs run little endian by setting the LE bit in
the MSR register for the process in question.  The real problem here is
that you have to add a *lot* of code to system calls to make this work.
There are a few system calls that this would be real difficult, such
as ioctl().  I once looked into doing this for the MIPS with SVR4 UNIX.

Neil.

--
Neil Russell <caret at c-side.com>