IrDA on PowerBooks

Topi Kanerva tkanerva at ees2.oulu.fi
Mon Oct 23 07:47:13 EST 2000

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Claus Enneper wrote:

>don't know anything about the ericson, but as long as you followed
>the IRDA-HOWTO, it should work right out of the box.
>get the irda-utils src, or use debian's package.
>and there is a gsmlib-rpm at linuxppc, which manage your sms (no GUI).
>	I did't try that one, 'cause I use irda only for the palm.

now I know why it didn't work out of the box for me...
this is what I get in the dmesg log:

IrDA (tm) Protocols for Linux-2.2 (Dag Brattli)
irda_setup timed out on 1st byte
irda_setup timed out on 1st byte
IrDA: Registered device irda0
irtty_net_open()
irlap_change_speed(), setting speed to 9600

I looked at macserial.c, the "irda_setup timed out on 1st byte" is printed
if the chip doesn't give a proper response until the timeout finishes.
i tried increasing the timeout from 10ms to 20ms, but it didn't help.

so, the irda setup supposedly fails. (it branches to a label called "out",
but I didn't look the code much further...) so, this is on a Pismo
PowerBook, with kernel 2.2.17pre20-ben3, macserial.c compiled in the
kernel, other things are modules (like irda.o, ircomm.o, ircomm-tty.o,
irtty.o) however, I don't know what is the main difference between ircomm
and irtty, I couldn't find an explanation good enough anywhere, anyway
which one of these is supposed to work on PowerBooks?

-topi