Lombard Sleep Crash (Was: 2.2.18pre17 again)

Derek Homeier supas100 at astrophysik.uni-kiel.de
Sat Nov 4 02:59:45 EST 2000

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> >I just had 2.2.18pre17-benh1 running (and sleeping) for about a week on
> >my Lombard, this morning it simply powered down and reset pram when I
> >tried to wake it up (battery was 95% full).
>
> I though that was fixed for a long time... weird.

Thought so, too. This was the only time this happened to me since then,
but Albrecht seems to have the same problem.

> >I also noted some other problems with sleep, mostly irregularly:
> >
> > xscreensaver tends to become somehow disconnected from the display, when
> > 	this happens, it will run in the background after wakeup and begin
> >	to consume 90%+ cpu, but doesn't blank the screen. It can be
> >	easily killed, however.
>
> Yup. Fortunately, even if you don't kill it, it tends to stop playing the
> CPU hog after a few seconds (or minutes ?)

Rather minutes. I didn't remember it ever spinning down on its own
(before I killed it, that is), and I certainly sometimes only noticed it
after 15-30 minutes.

> >	I added some lines to pwrctl-local to kill it before sleeping
> >	and relaunch it afterwards, but even then it happenened once again
> >	(before, it was about every other time, though)
> >
> > power consumption during sleep is occasionally (not frequently) 5-10
> >	times the normal rate, which will discharge the battery within
> >	24-36 hours.
>
> Bizarre... The new sleep code is supposed to be a lot less robust to
> those various issues. Well, I suggest you try again with pmac-stable once
> the ADB problem is ironed out. Both Paul and I did various fixes to the
> sleep process.

Again, this only happened once with newer kernels.

Thanks,
								Derek