Lombard Sleep Crash (Was: 2.2.18pre17 again)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt bh40 at calva.net
Fri Nov 3 05:06:36 EST 2000

>> Well, the kernel sleep code is supposed to take care of that, but
>> apparently, that code is also causing the panic...
>
>any possibility that the VFS layer causing more serious problems here?
>Comments
>before cdrom.c:media_changed() seem to hint at a potential race
condition, and
>if the pmac-ide sleep code tries doing the VFS-sync itself, it might
aggrivate
>matters.  Should/Is VFS being kicked automagically by the cdrom code, or
might
>we need some syncing or buffering code in ide-pmac.c to prevent a panic?

The sleep code in via-pmu.c does a sync, and the sleep code ide-pmac.c
locks the IDE request queue preventing any other request from coming in
until it's unlocked on wakeup. I did this part. Michael did the VFS
stuffs, I must admit I didn't look at the VFS layer in depth myself.

>Could also be that the wakebay app/hack runs on the drive after DMA was
>re-enabled.  I assume there is no problem with the media change acting on a
>non-mediabay disk, which it appears to me it would be doing.

Well, the devices beeing powered down, it can't harm to send them a media
change.