Lombard Sleep Crash (Was: 2.2.18pre17 again)

Joseph P. Garcia jpgarcia at execpc.com
Fri Nov 3 04:23:06 EST 2000

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >if you panic'ed with the CD module inserted, would you try to snooze
> >without it?
> >
> >or try this one:
>
> Well, the kernel sleep code is supposed to take care of that, but
> apparently, that code is also causing the panic...

any possibility that the VFS layer causing more serious problems here?  Comments
before cdrom.c:media_changed() seem to hint at a potential race condition, and
if the pmac-ide sleep code tries doing the VFS-sync itself, it might aggrivate
matters.  Should/Is VFS being kicked automagically by the cdrom code, or might
we need some syncing or buffering code in ide-pmac.c to prevent a panic?

Could also be that the wakebay app/hack runs on the drive after DMA was
re-enabled.  I assume there is no problem with the media change acting on a
non-mediabay disk, which it appears to me it would be doing.

BTW, pmud 0.7.1 uses wakebay by default.  my PDQ doesnt have the panic problem
either.

Joseph P. Garcia      jpgarcia at execpc.com      jpgarcia at lidar.ssec.wisc.edu
CS Undergraduate                      Student Employee - Systems Programmer
University of Wisconsin - Madison                            UW Lidar Group