Serial console in 2.3.99?

Andreas Tobler toa at pop.agri.ch
Tue May 30 06:55:35 EST 2000

Michel Lanners wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I don't seem to get the serial console working in Paul's 2.3.99-pre9. I
> have tried all kernel command lines, but no dice.... I had it working in
> 2.2.15, but that same command line does not work for 2.3.99. The cabling
> is ok; I can cat files out the serial ports and get them on the other
> side. But not a single character of kernel log shows up...
>
> Anybody know what's happening? Any patches around? I absolutely need the
> console to debug strange crashes, with nothing in the syslog...

Well, not that helpful but here are my experiences:
Today rsynced 2.3.99p9 from linuxcare->

vector: 700 at pc = c000673c, lr = c00051f8, msr = 81030, sp = c01f2ee0 [c01f2e30]
current = c01f1000, pid = 0, comm = swapper
mon> x

This is on a pm7200, the same with bitkeeper. So the line must be working(physical).

Tomorrow I try to get a bk tree with the changes visible, but 300MB in size.....
No, not today via 56k modem....

A 2.3.99p6 DID work under 7200. I suppose digging in the diffs is now
THE task, for me, if it boots, then I/we have to find out about the
console stuff.
In other words, I'm also interested in getting this to work.

regards
Andreas