Debian pmud package available

Michael Schmitz schmitz at opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri May 26 06:25:36 EST 2000

> > It would be good to see how that works in practice when pmud attempts to put
> > the machine to sleep (due to low power).
>
> When I tried to run snooze with the old version, it said 'function not
> implemented' or similar - is this related?

That's the message. pmud tries to issue the sleep ioctl, which fails in
the kernel and generates that message (or the message was generated by the
pwrctl script, it's quiet now).

If you want to experiment a bit, try snooze and see if the disk stays off
until you force disk activity somehow. The screen should switch off as
well but can be re-lighted by the brightness buttons so you see what
you're typing.

If the disk stays off, and the machine cools down sufficiently you may
even attempt to close the lid (which will try a snooze as well). I can't
tell if that's safe with the remaining amount of power consumption though.

If the machine would get too hot with disk off and lid closed, we'll have
to force a shutdown on these machines as soon as the lid is closed, to
keep users from damaging their box.

> > is the Pismo media bay or iBook CDROM at hdc?
>
> The DVD-ROM in my Pismo is hde.

OK, I'll add that to the sleep clause in the Core99 function.

	Michael