BMAC+ & Full Duplex

Takashi Oe toe at unlserve.unl.edu
Fri May 19 09:09:37 EST 2000

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Mike Hudson wrote:

> Takashi,
>
> I think we're talking about the same thing.
> "Server mode" is like a modified auto-power on that will
> ALWAYS boot the computer. i.e. it will boot whenever AC power is present.
>
> I'm going off the technote at the apple website
> (http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1079.html) which specified
> direct hardware access to the CUDA, can we do this from user-space using
> ADB commands?

Surely.  There are a handful of pmac apps which excutes direct ADB/CUDA
commands.

> Here's what I was originally thinking about:
>
> cuda_request(&req, NULL, 2, CUDA_PACKET, CUDA_SVR_MODE,
>     CUDA_SVR_MODE_ENA)
> called somewhere in the kernel
> after
> #define CUDA_SVR_MODE 0x13 (from apple technote)
> #define CUDA_SVR_MODE_ENA 1
> etc..
> This could be called numerous ways.
>
> Either way, send over the source code to your little app, Takashi. It would
> be
> exponentially more elegant than a kernel patch.

I've modified what I had so that it will enable/disable the server mode.
See attached or other sources like /sbin/clock.  The little app I
mentioned is using 0xb cuda command for specifying some fixed time to
power up, and it's been available somewhere at
http://ppc.linux.or.jp/~toe/

Takashi Oe