some booting help

David Weis djweis at plconline.com
Sat May 13 04:34:56 EST 2000

We've started again with the MCA rs/6000's and I needed a bit of help. A
little background on the machine-
It's a rs6000 7011-250 with a 601 PowerPC processor
The io ports on the MCA bus are addressed through a bus unit controller
with a BUID of 0x20. If I wanted to write something to 0x3f8 on the mca
bus, I would have to set up the segment register, etc, correct? Is this
something with enough overhead that I can't realistically do it for every
io port access?

We do have some code by Andrew Richardson that will make a valid boot disk
and print 987 to the display on the front. It's available at
http://www.sjdjweis.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=000005&topic_id=1&topic=RS%2f6000%20Linux

Any help is appreciated!

dave

--
David Weis                | 10520 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50322
djweis at plconline.com      | Voice 515-278-0133 Ext 231