ROCK Linux -- Any success?

Shiloh Heurich shiloh at comtechmobile.com
Sat May 13 01:15:24 EST 2000

I was just wondering if anyone has successfully built the current
(v1.3.9) ROCK Linux distribution?  I haven't gotten past the setup process
yet -- my problem revolves around getting the devfs filesystem to work on
my current system in preparation for the build.  If I compile a 2.3.99
kernel with devfs support, my machine (G4/450) will boot, but I get
intermittent kernel panics during compilation of the ROCK sources.  If,
instead, I compile a 2.2.15pre20 kernel with devfs support (after applying
the devfs patch for this kernel version), my machine boots most of the
way, but doesn't seem to recognize the new /dev layout, and therefore will
not mount any of the filesystems (including /).  So, without spending too
much time trying to get either of these approaches to work, I'd be
interested to know if anyone has successfully built and installed ROCK.

Shiloh Heurich

--
Shiloh Heurich
Software Engineer