Lombard hard freeze (update: mem>64MB)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu May 11 03:28:13 EST 2000

Got one step forward with the hard freeze problem.

My local Apple shop (ProDatenTechnik in Osnabrück),
was to kind to let me check through a new memory module.

When I had only 64MB the system was stable!
I managed to compile GRASS (which is among the biggest free software
projects) and other things.

Plugging in a different 128MB and a different 64MB, both in the first
slot, made the system unstable each time.

This explains why Micheal has a stable system.
Sadly it is still a big problem.

To answer some of the suggestions:
The problem is there, even when I never start X11 and work
from the virtual console. There is absolutly no output.
No ethernet network ping, no memory monitor, no kernel panic, nothing.
The cursor stops blinking (and everything else moving) and it is over.

As about the power consumption and the heat: It is my understanding that
the fan should start up when there is too much heat controlled by
hardware. But the fan does not start. And freezes also occur when the
machine itself it cold. I also do not quite understand how the power
consumption could be a problem here.

It would so nice to have a person who can debug it.
I will test two things:
	Setting mem=64M and see if it makes it stable.

	Maybe a development line kernel has some fixes for this stuff,
	I shall try one.

Maybe we should ask for Lombard users which have a stable system
with more as 64MB memory. Can they do huge compiles?
Somebody should have a lombard the symptom and the guts to debug it.

	Bernhard
ps.: Please remember that I am not on the dev list.