Lombard hard freeze (still there)

Gabriel Ricard g_ricard at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 05:13:17 EST 2000

I am wondering if any of the developers who do kernel
related work on LinuxPPC have any suggestions for us
on how to deal with this. If I knew how to do the
debugging work and trace the problem to its root I
would.

http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-dev/200004/threads.html

> > I _have_ a Lombard running without problems.  So
> just some ideas which
> > might give you some more information.  Maybe you
> should try to work from
> > the first virtual (text) console (ctrl-opt-F1).
> If the kernel panics
> > (which is does very likely) it will emit this
> information there, but you
> > will NEVER see it if you are in X, and it does not
> necessarily go into
> > /var/log/messages.
>
> The hard freeze's low temperature prohibits all
> output.
> Never got any error message.
>
> > Did you check the serial port drivers?  I rember
> there were some problems
> > if you use the serial.c under LinuxPPC.  You do
> not need it, the right one
> > is macserial.c.  I could trigger panics on the
> Lombard and on my old 7300
> > by just typing "cat /dev/ttyS0 > /dev/null".
>
> Yes I check the serial driver, built a kernel
> without usb and
> serial support at all. But the symptoms are still
> there.
>
> I have 192 MB of RAM though and a 10 Gb drive ,
> these are the only
> differences which I think my machine might have to
> other lombards.
>
> 	Bernhard
>
> --
> Professional Service around Free Software
>     (intevation.net)
> The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)
> Association for a Free Informational Infrastructure
>           (ffii.org)

=====
Gabriel Ricard
g_ricard at yahoo.com