LinuxPPC and Pismo Powerbook

Olaf Hering olh at suse.de
Thu Mar 30 05:47:50 EST 2000

On Wed, Mar 29, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2000, Olaf Hering <olh at suse.de> wrote:
>
> >I had never problems with my faked system folder, I move it around, to
> >CDs, to netatalk servers and where ever I want. This can be a "feature"
> >of OS9 that it doesn't remove the information, I don't know.
> >
> >What makes this blessing so special??
>
> The "blessing" is a combination of two things:
>
>  - The directory ID of the "blessed" folder is written somewhere in the
> disk catalog (I think in the MDB, I don't remember for sure)
>
>  - Valid boot blocs are written to bloc 0 and 1 of the volume
>
> OF may still be able to boot if the bootblocs are not present (but miBoot
> can't).

In this case it is for the new world machines and as I said it works
always and ever. I drag it from the partition to a netatalk volume, go
to another mac and drag the folder into the Linux boot partition and it
is shown as a system folder. We have only OS9 here, the older B&W
machines can not be bootet from a OS 8.5 CDs and the original CDs are
gone. So I can't test it with OS 8.6.

I will post a smi the next days, I guess when you open it and drag it
onto another partition it will be bootable.

Gruss Olaf

--
 $ man 1 current_release

BUGS