LongTrail PCI resource assignment

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Sat Mar 25 00:48:51 EST 2000

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > On a somewhat related issue (the PCI mapping funnies for the Lombard and
> > > possibly other Rage Pro devices): what are the penalties if I 'correct'
> > > the PCI mapping for the Rage Pro within atyfb_of_init?
> >
> > atyfb_of_init() no longer exists. Atyfb uses PCI probing only now.
>
> Define 'now' please.

2.4.0 :-)

> > > I'd like to correct the first one to only include the big endian aperture,
> >
> > Why? Atyfb has no troubles finding the big endian aperture on its own.
>
> Stupid X doesn't query atyfb on this and stomps on the PCI resources.
> atyfb finds the BE aperture because someone hardcoded that it's at
> base + 0x800000 :-)

Bug in X: the big endian frame buffer is at base + 0x800000.

Besides, why does X need this? If it uses fbdev, all it should notice is that
the reported fix.smem_start lies within the 16 MB for this PCI device, so it
should not touch that PCI directly, only through the fbdev API (ioctl+mmap).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds