XFree86 4.0 Generic VGA

Kostas Gewrgiou gewrgiou at imbc.gr
Fri Mar 24 20:19:42 EST 2000

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, William H. Schultz wrote:

> on 3/23/00 3:52 PM, Michel Dδnzer at michdaen at iiic.ethz.ch wrote:

> >> Forgive me for being slow, but where can I get it?  I was
> >> under the impression that the tdfx driver, unlike most of
> >> the others, was compiled straight into the kernel.  I know
> >> I haven't gotten that to work.
> >
> > No, it's part of the XFree86 4.0 sources. Do you mean the DRM kernel module
> > (for DRI hardware accelerated 3D) for it? You don't need that for 2D, but if
> > you'd like it to work, contact Kostas.

  The default tdfx driver in the XFree sources isn't going to work :(
it depends on PIO to drive the card and that isn't working under ppc
we need to find the correct io_base and mmap it for the driver to work
(other drivers need it as well, not only tdfx)

 Finding the io_base from userland without the kernel giving us a hand
isn't easy i am adding code this days that tries to get the correct
values depending on the host bridge (thanks Ryuichi for the help here)
this is something that i would have prefer not to do, but until
the kernel people do something about this problem this is the only
way :(.

> >> XFree86 -configure definately doesn't work.  I know I should
> >> be paying more attention to the errors, but I get fewer by
> >> running xf86configure instead of the other way.
> >
> > What does it do?
> >

> > Michel
>
> On a fresh install, typeing  XFree86 -configure brings up the following
> (note that for some reason, the tdfx driver is not installed.  Like I asked
> before:  where can I get it?  Also note that I'm running on a 2.2.14
> kernel):

> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

  A sigsegv is probably because one of the drivers tried to do PIO

> Apparently it was compiled on 2.2.15, but I'm running 2.2.14.  Oh yeah, the
> tdfx driver that is in there, I copied from a 3.9.16 install that actually
> had the driver.  It gives the same error whether it's there or not.

  The 3.9.16 driver is unlikely to work under 4.0 many things changed
since then.

> Hank

  Kostas