XFree86 4.0 Generic VGA

Michael Schmitz schmitz at opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Mar 24 20:06:35 EST 2000

> On a fresh install, typeing  XFree86 -configure brings up the following
> (note that for some reason, the tdfx driver is not installed.  Like I asked
> before:  where can I get it?  Also note that I'm running on a 2.2.14
> kernel):

> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/tdfx_drv.o

					      ^^^^^^^^^^

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't this the module you were looking for?

(XFree doesn't use separate drivers for different cards anymore but rather
specialized driver modules.)

> (II) Module tdfx: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
>     compiled for 3.9.16, module version = 1.0.0

The module version is funny ... maybe it was leftover from a previous
install?

> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.o
> (II) Module fbdev: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
>     compiled for 4.0, module version = 0.1.0
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
>
> Apparently it was compiled on 2.2.15, but I'm running 2.2.14.  Oh yeah, the
> tdfx driver that is in there, I copied from a 3.9.16 install that actually
> had the driver.  It gives the same error whether it's there or not.

That explains the driver versio, OK. What does the "Device" section of
your XF86Config look like?

	Michael