Xfree86 4.0 (mach stuff)

Michel Dänzer michdaen at iiic.ethz.ch
Sat Mar 18 18:49:36 EST 2000

"James B. Parker" wrote:

> I noticed plenty of people working on getting rage128 hardware working with
> 4.0, so where is the support for earlier hardware (rage pro, rage ++,
> whatever)?

The ati driver is for them (although not very well accelerated yet), but I
doubt it works on PPC yet due to the usual problems (endianness, endianness
and endianness, ... :)

Kostas Gewrgiou, me and maybe others are working on a general solution to make
most drivers work with only minor changes or no changes at all.

> I am sure not everyone running LinuxPPC has a rage 128 setup.
> Or am I just missing something (like the same config file works for both)?

No, the Rage128 uses the r128 driver.

> If I knew what the heck to do with the 4.0 config file to get it working
> with my ATI rage pro chip, I certainly would give it a try.
> Any suggestions?

Look at the XF86Config manpage, the format of the file has changed.

Michel