aty128fb does not work in newer sawtooth machines

Kevin B. Hendricks khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca
Sat Mar 11 03:45:17 EST 2000

Hi,

I just received last week a new G4 at 450Mhz.  I have been trying various
things to get the video working properly to no avail.

If you use yaboot and boot with the following arguments:
video=aty128fb:vmode:17

then you get a working 1024x768 video at 8bpp

If you however try anything else at higher depths you end up with a screen
that is split into 3 vertical panes that make it impossible to use.

For example:

video=aty128fb:vmode18,cmode:32

which works fine on my B+W G3 immediately gives the three panes in console
mode.

The same problems exist in both Xpmac and XFree86 3.9.18.

Solutions anyone?

Thanks,

Kevin