Booting 2.3.48 (devel) kernel problems?

Benjamin Herrenschmidt bh40 at calva.net
Thu Mar 9 01:19:46 EST 2000

On Wed, Mar 8, 2000, Michael Schmitz
<schmitz at opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:

>So the framebuffer got mapped from OF but not from BootX.

I think it worked with OF because we inherit from OF SDR1 and, by luck,
OF page tables are high enough in memory to not have been damaged by the
kernel. When booting via BootX, that's not the case.

We should not try to access the framebuffer from identify_machine() and
MMU_Init() unless it was mapped with a BAT in head.S (for debugging
purposes). In normal cases, it will get mapped via map_bootx_text called
from setup_arch() and can be used beyond that point.