Just a thought!

Kevin B. Hendricks khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca
Thu Mar 9 00:18:28 EST 2000

Hi Robert,

At 8:45 PM -0700 3/7/00, Robert Shaw wrote:
>Kevin,
>
>I saw your post on the mailing list about updating to 2000. Can't you just
>mount the CD image, install the "xinstaller" rpm, then run "xinstaller" ??
>That should let you update packages and such (I thought).

I think I will simply use Hollis's options to upgrade my rpms (my current
rpms are a mishmash of older stuff mixed with yellowdog 1.0, yellowdog 1.1
and at least two earlier releases of linuxppc stuff and even some SuSE Beta
stuff).

It is getting very very hard to test you own software releases on a variety
of platforms.  I don't want to have to choose but with LinuxPPC, Yellowdog,
SuSE, Debian, MkLinux R1, etc, it looks like I am going to have too.

My plea is as follows:  ;-)

How about LinuxPPC, YellowDog, and MkLinux R1 joining forces to become
YellowDogLinuxPPC and reorganize to "fend off" bigger distributions such as
SuSE who have alot more resources that either YellowDog or LinuxPPC as
individuals.

Then take YellowDogLinuxPPC public (giving all of us developers huge
amounts of shares in a stock market overripe for IPOs, so that we all get
rich and retire early to just write software (i.e. quit our dayjobs!)!!!!!!

Together, these distributions may have a enough size and revenue to justify
a serious (hastened) ipo that if delayed would not be as productive as one
now.

By the way, if either of you (or together) were ever thinking of an ipo,
this is the year and now is the time.  The market will never be this
"enthuiastic" about Linux stocks again!

I will be patiently waiting for my IPO invitation in the mail!!!!!!

Just a thought!

Kevin