Kernel Bug Report-Jeram

jeramy b smith ultrapenguin at netscape.net
Tue Mar 7 19:19:25 EST 2000

I wrote to linuxppc user to get some feedback on a kernel error I was running
into. Specifically, when booting 2.2.15pre3 directly (yaboot); my Lombard 333
hangs when it enables multiword dma for hda. It gives the message that it
enables multiword dma , gives the specs of the drive twice, and duly hangs.

1. If I boot from a a linuxppc cdrom this does not occur.

2. If I warm reboot after booting from a Linux cdrom and mounting the drives
or booting from a macos cdrom, then the direct boot succeeds.

3. If I boot from a bootx extension, this does not occur.

4. If I direct boot the newer kernel in cs 1.2 (pre8?), multiword dma is
successfully initialized for hda but then I get two messages that multiword is
enabled for hdc followed by a nice hang.

-Jeramy