LinuxPPC vs. RedHat???

Bill Brooks wbrooks at lug.ee.calpoly.edu
Thu Mar 2 07:28:00 EST 2000

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, David A. Gatwood wrote:

> > -Other than recompiling on wintel for delivery, can anyone see
> > potential problems with using LinuxPPC in a RedHat shop?
> > -Any known problems with JAVA tools (JDK, JSDK, Tomcat)?
>
> You mean taking LinuxPPC and trying to rebuild it on x86?  Good luck.  The
> words source compatible tend to be somewhat exaggerated when it comes to
> real-world use, especially where RPMs are involved.  Just MHO.

Reading the last bullet point, I think the poster was asking about
developing something in Java.

I personally have been using the Blackdown JDK 1.2.x tools on LinuxPPC
since they were released and have never had a problem moving Java source
OR binaries between JDK 1.2/Blackdown/LinuxPPC and JDK
1.2/Blackdown/RedHat5.2 - 6.1. I've been using Tomcat and Sun JSDK 2.0
since the first milestone drop and haven't ever had a problem that's not
reproducible on RedHat for x86. As far as I can tell, they are bug
compatible :-)

You'll have a harder time finding .rpm's for Tomcat, etc for PPC, but
that's not going to really stop you from doing Java development on
LinuxPPC in a RedHat shop at all.

Bill