LinuxPPC vs. RedHat???

Renaud Dreyer rdreyer at math.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 2 07:07:14 EST 2000

> On 1/3/00 8:28 pm, David A. Gatwood at dgatwood at deepspace.mklinux.org was
> inspired to say:
>

> >On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, John L Grantham wrote:
> >
> >> On 1/3/00 6:17 pm, David A. Gatwood at dgatwood at deepspace.mklinux.org was
> >> inspired to say:

> >> <nitpick>Not Debian...</nitpick>
> >
> >Is the Debian distribution a working distribution now?  I'd gotten the
> >impression that it was still a work-in-progress.
>
> Define "working". :-)
>
> Seriously, my impression (admittedly I haven't tried Debian yet, though I
> have no pressing need to do so--even though I would like to try out
> apt-get...) is that it's working, but still officially in beta.

It's working great right now on my PowerMac 7300. The installation
was a breeze (it might be a bit more complicated if you have a newer
machine though) and it's really nice to have a system that more or
less upgrades itself, and is pretty much on par with the Intel
(and Sparc, and m68k, and Alpha and...) distribution.

> Statement from Debian: "Debian/PowerPC is considered to be stable as of
> February, 1998, and is currently being consolidated for release. More
> than 90% of the Debian packages are available, with the remaining
> packages being processed. Debian/PowerPC will be officially released with
> the next version of Debian (2.2; code-named potato)."

Potato has been frozen and should be officially released very soon.
Ciao,

            Renaud