[linux-fbdev] Re: 3D accel on PPC

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Wed Jun 21 16:19:29 EST 2000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Kostas Gewrgiou wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Kostas Gewrgiou wrote:
> > > What is holding back ppc voodoo3 in xfree right now
> > > is PIO support, i tried to use tdfxfb to get away from
> > > this but there a problems there as well (the xserver
> > > needs a 2*vramsize mapping in the framebuffer but fbdev
> > > can't do this unless i patch tdfxfb to think that its
> > > vram is 2*realsize, Geert any ideas how we can get away
> > > from this ?)
> >
> > Why do they want 2*vramsize? Is the extra space where no RAM is used for
> > something different? Can they map something there?
>
>  In voodoo you can setup one part of the framebuffer as tiled memory,
> access to this tiled memory needs more address space thats why a
> mapping of 2*ram is needed.

IC.

Is this tiled memory needed for a specific video mode, or is it independent of
the video mode? In the former case, set smem_len to 2*ram when switching to
that specific video mode; in the latter case, add an ioctl() to switch between
normal and tiled video mode, taking care of smem_len as well.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds