Problems handling large files??

Andreas Tobler toa at pop.agri.ch
Mon Jun 19 19:04:10 EST 2000

Michel Lanners wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've come across another problem in the 2.3.99 kernels (I've not had a
> chance to try 2.4.0-test). This is with 2.3.99-pre9 from Paul's rsync.
>
> Whenever a file larger than a few megabytes is created, the system will
> report 'out of memory' errors at random file syizes, while writing the
> file.
[snip]
> So the 'Cannot allocate memory' comes from the system (libc? system
> call?).
>
> Anybody know what's going on? Can you verify this on a 2.4.0-test
> kernel? FWIW, bonnie _was_ working OK on 2.2.13 (later unverified) and
> 2.3.48 (latest benchamrk I have).
>
> Clues?

As reported before, an update to 2.4.0-test1-ac19 wouldn't be a bad idea.
I tried bonnie a few minutes ago on a fsmlabs tree 2.4.0-test-ac19 which
still reports as ac18. And I had no problems so far. Bonnie ended with
giving me some ? results. I did it two times with a 100MB file on a
wallstreet. One try without hdparm tuning the other one with.

Andreas