[patch] VRAM detection in controlfb

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Sun Jun 4 23:55:59 EST 2000

Hi all,

On   3 Jun, this message from Ani Joshi echoed through cyberspace:
>> For those with multiple display adapters, do you think an option
>> controlfb:off might make sense?

Silly me; that's already taken care of in fbmem.c.

>> As there is no way to control which card
>> gets assigned which framebuffer device, that might help in certain
>> situations...
>
> I believe you can set which driver gets init'ed first by using the args:
>
> video=foo:blah video=bar:blah

Right, that's handles in fbmem.c. Unfortunately, I've never seen it
documented anywhere... So, I've started to write up a doc about
framebuffer kernel command line options. I've come across a few
oddities; among others the format of options:

1. What do the vc: and map: options do?
2. Why can you specify more options after 'scrollback:', separated with
   a ',', but not after the 'map:' option (no other options possible),
   whereas you can have more options following 'vc:', but without a
   separator?

Thanks

Michel

BTW, anybody have the fbutils compiled for 2k and recent kernels? I
can't seem to get it to compile....

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan at cpu.lu            |