Altivec on 2.4.xx?

Daniel Marmier daniel.marmier at lightning.ch
Sat Jul 29 02:57:30 EST 2000

Dan Malek wrote:
> This is a PowerPC architecture definition. It isn't unique to the MPC8xx,
> as I am obviously using a 7400 with Altivec here.

The exception I was talking about is _implementation specific_, which makes
it MPC8xx unique. I do not use Altivec, but I am afraid there could be
problems even without it. I could not find out whether the Data TLB Miss
exception sets the DSISR, but DataStoreTLBMiss can branch to DataAccess,
wich passes the DSISR to do_page_fault. Phew, hope I was clearer :-)
Anyway, I will look at this exception with care before telling more.

> Having the common page fault handler is a good thing, we just have
> to make sure we extract the information properly from the appropriate
> register.

Of course it is a good thing. I was just suggesting a way of retrieving
this information properly from do_page_fault.

> I thought there was more (than none :-) development happening with
> Altivec on PowerPC Linux.  Maybe tiny test applications will work,
> but my MPEG-2 decoder won't.

Sorry, only 8xx here :-(

				Daniel Marmier