current status of kernel devel vs. stable ..

Ramprasad Rao ramp at oddjob.uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 27 14:34:22 EST 2000

Maybe Cort/Paul/Ben or other kernelppc developers can answer this.

What happens to the current stable sources 2.2 when 2.4 comes out.
Are the changes made to the 2.2 series merged into the 2.4. I've been
very happy with the current stable tree (vanilla + prepatch + usb
backport). However in order to get some really cutting edge USB
stuff I;ve had to get the bk-devel tree (currently 2.4.0-test5). This has
built fine and even boots OK. There are a couple of small problems:

1. Occasionally my mouse freezes in X. The only way to get it back
seems to change to a different VT and back.

2. Overall the system feels somewhat sluggish when running gnome. I have
lots of memory 160 MB and was wondering what was going on.

Thanks - Ram

PS: I have an iMac 333 MHz with 10 MB RAM and upgraded hard disk.