switching consoles

Derek Homeier supas100 at astrophysik.uni-kiel.de
Wed Jul 19 06:29:47 EST 2000

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Joseph Garcia wrote:

> Derek Homeier wrote:
> > Generally, however, I prefer to set the primary function of the F[1-12]
> > keys to "Function keys" in the "Options" of the "Keyboard" Control Panel.
> > BTW, this seems to be reset whenever my OF variables are set back to defaults.
> > Does anyone know if it is possible to change this setting in OF directly?
>
> I suppose you could try setting it back and forth and getting a hexdump of nvram
> and then diff them to find the common thread.  then write an app that does it
> for you.
>
> Kinda brute force, but thats how I wrote setpramboot and got it working for my
> PDQ. (http://www.execpc.com/~jpgarcia)  The F[1-12] keys thing could be as
> little as a single bit, right?

You mean, writing an app that can set it in Linux? Well, would be even
slicker, actually I was only thinking about some OF command like
'setenv keyxxx yyy' to not have to fully boot into MacOS every time the
bootvars are reset. But a linux utility would really be quite useful,
unfortunately I've never played with OF settings from within Linux.
I'll have a look at your setpramboot docs, though.

Thanks,
							Derek