[ACTION]: Rational Purify for Linux/PPC

Grant Erickson erick205 at tc.umn.edu
Fri Jul 14 09:26:04 EST 2000

I just got off the phone with Deborah (1-800-728-1212 x76620), a sales
representative at Rational Software--makers of Purify. I had called to
inquire about the availability of Purify for Linux/PPC.

She did confirm that Rational did have plans "in progress" to support
Linux on IA32, IA64 and possibly SPARC. The IA32 release is close to
completion (July/August). Unfortunately, when I asked her about Linux/PPC
she neither knew what the PowerPC was or that Linux even ran on it.
Unfortunate.

However, she consulted the product development and engineering resources,
and came back with the response that there were no plans at this time or
in the near future to support Linux/PPC due to perceived lack of demand.

So, if you or your company see the value of Purify for Linux/PPC (or AIX
for that matter), please call Deborah or e-mail Rational requesting
support for it. It seemed to work for RealPlayer 7.0, maybe it'll work
here (although porting Purify is a lot more work I imagine).

Thanks,

Grant Erickson