RFC: Changing default partition type for linux/ppc

Benjamin Herrenschmidt bh40 at calva.net
Mon Jul 10 07:33:09 EST 2000

>i'd vote for "ext2", "hfs", etc. call them what they are, and keep it simple,
>instead of "Linux_Ext2fs" or something similar.

That won't work for 2 reasons:

 - MacOS and MacOS X won't mount HFS partitions if the type is not Apple_HFS
 - If we put the fs type (like Linux_ext2) in the partition type, it's
not updated
   by the various linux mkxxxx tools, and can be confusing. I would
rather keep
   a simple "Linux" type, along with "Linux_swap" to help skipping swap
partition
   in bootloaders (and installers)

Ben.