RFC: Changing default partition type for linux/ppc

Tom Vier thomassr at erols.com
Mon Jul 10 07:22:19 EST 2000

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 12:21:37AM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >My vote: let the kernel still look for Apple_UNIX_SVR2 the way it does
> >now.  Then I would like it to be able to use anything that starts with
> >"Linux".  That way people can name there parts types whatever they want,
> >but Linux_ext2 and Linux_swap should be defaults.

> The kernel will be able to use anything. The only kernel change concerns
> the root auto-detect stuff.

> What will need to change, however, are the various distro installers,
> pdisk, yaboot, perhaps quik, ...

i'd vote for "ext2", "hfs", etc. call them what they are, and keep it simple,
instead of "Linux_Ext2fs" or something similar.

imho, partition types should be a "soft" standard. eg, an installer should
default to only showing Apple_UNIX_SVR2 (or whatever standard partition
names are created) unless the user selects "show all" or similar option.
this is somewhat offtopic, though.

--
Tom Vier <thomassr at erols.com>
DSA Key id 0x27371A2C