Fwd: Re: still no accelerated X ($#!$*)

David Edelsohn dje at watson.ibm.com
Fri Jan 21 07:08:59 EST 2000

>>>>> Gabriel Paubert writes:

Gabriel> I think that it is not necessary: the best thing with a compiler which
Gabriel> performs alias analysis might be to tell the truth

Gabriel> asm ("stwbrx %1,%2,%3"
Gabriel> : "=m" (*(volatile unsigned *)(base_addr+regindex))
Gabriel> : "r" (regdata), "b" (base_addr), "r" (regindex));

Gabriel> Note we don't use %0, and it won't produce any aditional code. You may
Gabriel> want to check what the compiler would have generated as addressing mode
Gabriel> by appending " # %0" at the end of the code string.

	Yes, this type of inlined assembly describing the actual memory
operation as an output constraint is better than clobbering all of memory,
if possible.

David