Network efficiency issue

Joseph Garcia jpgarcia at execpc.com
Thu Jan 20 06:34:36 EST 2000

My wallstreet/300 has an issue with FTP transfers.  Incoming transfers work fine
at the full 10Mbit potential, however outgoing transfers are extremely slow,
around 75k/s.  This holds true of multiple server daemons and client apps.  I
have tried this against serveral computers, and it is consistent.  All file
transfers in the FTP protocol originating from my book are slow.  A switched hub
reported several collisions/sec when i tried using it, and this should not
happen.  NFS, etc seem to be unaffected by this issue/bug.

My best guess is that since FTP tends to be fairly raw and with little overhead,
this could be a flow control issue in the kernel.  I can supply my kernel
configuration if desired.  this occurs with a 2.2.14/Linus and a recent
2.3.39/Paul's Linuxcare rsync.

Any input would be greatly appreacated.  Thank you for your time.

Joseph P. Garcia      jpgarcia at execpc.com      jpgarcia at lidar.ssec.wisc.edu
CS Undergraduate                      Student Employee - Systems Programmer
University of Wisconsin - Madison                            UW Lidar Group