[patch] little-endian dmasound silently fails

Brad Boyer flar at pants.nu
Sun Feb 6 22:55:42 EST 2000

BenH wrote:
> Actually, I had some reports about this problem too and I'm wondering if
> all revisions of AWACS actually support byte swapping. (I think I
> remember seeing a comment on this list telling explicitely that some
> revisions didn't support it).

Well, I know I complained several times, but I found out recently when I
did some more careful testing that I was wrong.  I have a rev 2 AWACS chip
in my computer, and the byteswap does work.  My problem was that I had a
number of programs which set the format improperly, and I didn't notice
the problem when I looked at the code.  As an example, snes9x explicitly
asks for a little-endian format, then generates the sound in native
order.  Unless you can find someone with a rev 1 AWACS chip and test
that one, I imagine you can assume that all of them support byteswap
properly.  And since the 7600 I have is one of the oldest machines that
is supported, I imagine you won't find anyone with rev 1 unless they
changed in between the 7500 and 7600.  I would guess that rev 1 was
used in the nubus powermacs.

	Brad Boyer
	flar at pants.nu