PCI-to-parallel port problem

Timothy A. Seufert tas at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 19 19:49:43 EST 2000

At 8:00 AM +0100 12/19/00, Michel Lanners wrote:
>On  18 Dec, this message from Thomas Berkefeld echoed through cyberspace:
>>  I have FASTPCI 4008 PCI parallel port card from Dolphin Peripherals. To
>>  use the card,
>>  the manual tells to modprobe parport_pc.o with io-address and irq.
>>  Unfortunatley
>>  parport_pc.c cannot be compiled with
>>  kernel 2.4.0-test11 on my G4 Mac  (a header is missing).
>>  Furthermore /proc/pci says the interrupt number is 53 which seems a bit
>>  high.
>
>Depends. PowerMacs have at least 32 interrupts, but some have more.
>Anybody know for sure on the G4?

It's 64 on Uni-N based Macs, which includes most G4s, because they
use an OpenPIC interrupt controller:

PowerMac using OpenPIC irq controller
OpenPIC Version 1.2 (4 CPUs and 64 IRQ sources) at efe2d000

There are a few "Yikes!" G4 machines which use the same motherboard
as the B&W G3.  The interrupt controller in these also supports 64
IRQ sources.

   Tim Seufert