PCI-to-parallel port problem

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Tue Dec 19 18:00:23 EST 2000

On  18 Dec, this message from Thomas Berkefeld echoed through cyberspace:
> I have FASTPCI 4008 PCI parallel port card from Dolphin Peripherals. To
> use the card,
> the manual tells to modprobe parport_pc.o with io-address and irq.
> Unfortunatley
> parport_pc.c cannot be compiled with
> kernel 2.4.0-test11 on my G4 Mac  (a header is missing).
> Furthermore /proc/pci says the interrupt number is 53 which seems a bit
> high.

Depends. PowerMacs have at least 32 interrupts, but some have more.
Anybody know for sure on the G4?

> This is what /proc/pci says about the card:
> Bus  2, device   3, function  0:
>     Parallel controller: PCI device 1409:7268 (Timedia Technology Co
> Ltd) (rev 1).
>       IRQ 53.
>       I/O at 0x1010 [0x1017].
>       I/O at 0x1000 [0x1007].

There is potential for breakage with the IO ports. Don't know what the
state is in the current 2.2.18 kernel; just give it a try once you get
parport to compile. You might then also try the current PPC 2.4 kernels;
they have some PCI code to avoid the IO port problems.

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan at cpu.lu            |