Problems with linuxppc_2_2 on an MVME-2400

Michael Lundkvist ml at epact.se
Mon Aug 21 04:55:51 EST 2000

Daniel Jacobowitz <dmj+ at andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> It's installed by the kernel image package: /boot/config-2.2.15
> probably.

OK.

> Did you try the 2.2.17 packaged kernels?

Sorry, I was a bit unclear there. That was the 2.2.17 prebuilt kernels.

> I'm wondering if there's a difference in config between the two you
> tried... the installer does some skanky magic building them.  Here's
> the difference between those two kernels:
>

> NFS root on, IP autoconfig on, and booting from a ramdisk.  one of
> those is probably fixing your problem... i'd bet on the ramdisk.
>
> Dan

I took /boot/config-2.2.15 and a patched 2.2.17 and turned on
IP-autoconfig and NFS-root. That gave me a stable kernel.

Then I turned of IP-autoconfig and NFS-root and I still got a stable
kernel.

Then I tuned the kernel to my taste a bit more (turning of more
stuff). That broke it.

I'm attaching the working config and the broken one. I'll play around
a bit more and see if I can narrow it down.

/Micke

PS Sorry for the extra mail without the config files...