CONFIG_PPC != Mac

Dan Malek dan at netx4.com
Thu Aug 3 01:17:47 EST 2000

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Franz Sirl wrote:
> > BTW, how about CONFIG_PPC_DESKTOP and CONFIG_PPC_EMBEDDED in addition to
> > CONFIG_PPC?
>
> And what makes the difference between a `desktop' and an `embedded' PPC here?

I hope we don't do this, as I don't think that is a very good
distinction either.  I prefer some of the other suggestions, where
we simply have mix-n-match configuration options.  Select a board
and processor type and go from there.

I have had the opportunity lately to use some of the other Linux
processor architecture configurations.  The Linux PowerPC configuration
really isn't too bad, and I would prefer just a small evolution.  If
you want to see some bad configuration and hard to use environments,
go visit some of the other emerging architectures.......

I think even some of the "source restructuring" that has been discussed
could also be mitigated with a more logical set of configuration options.

	-- Dan